Re: MBONE access?

2004-03-03 15:41:44
On 3-mrt-04, at 22:54, Melinda Shore wrote:

BTW, the only multicast stream working during last night's plenary
was the MPEG-1 one, and because of the high bit rate it was very lossy.
The other, lower bitrate streams weren't working and the guy running
the service kind of blew me off (and I quote: "watch the video in a
couple weeks after we get back").

I got a similar-spirited reaction after I posted this to the list on nov 18/19:

"As long as we're bitching about the network: would it be possible to start doing some unicast streaming of sessions in the future? Access to multicast hasn't gotten significantly better the past decade, but streaming over unicast is now routine as the codecs are so much better these days, as is typical access bandwidth. I'll happily take 40 kbps MPEG-4 audio only; the video is so badly out of sync that it is unwatchable most of the time anyway."

Because I really wanted to follow yesterday's multi6 session, I arranged for some ad-hoc streaming. Kurtis Lindqvist was kind enough to provide me with an audio/video feed, which I ran through a streaming server. Despite the fact that we used a microphone built into the camera the audio was workable, although the video wasn't all that useful because of the low resolution and mounting limitations.

I think we should consider streaming audio over unicast for all sessions. There are already microphones in all rooms, right? As this is only 32 kbps (you can go even lower) and any laptop with audio in and suitable software can provide the feed, and there is little or no need to attend to anything during steaming, I'm sure it's possible to work out the logistics.