Re: Work effort? (Re: Proposed Standard and Perfection)

2004-03-13 09:26:17
Maybe I'm confused but, as I understand it, standards track level is
already, in principle, completely decoupled from "write and publish an
RFC" in that the standards level is not incorporated in the RFC
anywhere but listed separately.

In general, I agree with John Klensin as to what are considered the real
barriers to advancement, adding that the usual reason a new RFC is
required is that some small part/option of a Proposed Standards does not
have multiple implementations or if it does they don't interoperabe and
people have decided that part/option is of so little use this is not
worth fixing. Thus, under our current rules, a new RFC is needed to drop
out this more or less failed portion of the Proposed Standard.

Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd
dee3(_at_)torque(_dot_)pothole(_dot_)com
 155 Beaver Street              +1-508-634-2066(h) +1-508-786-7554(w)
 Milford, MA 01757 USA
Donald(_dot_)Eastlake(_at_)motorola(_dot_)com