Re: "Principles" of "Spam-abatement"

2004-03-17 08:39:34
I might be willing to take a first-first email from someone who has a
history of not-spamming, without requiring that they suffer a penalty
(other than my reporting them to the third-party trust agency) if they
violate that.

no, you would not.

dave, you're not thinking of this as information warfare.  you have to.
every time you consider a plan, ask yourself "where are the loopholes?"
or "how can it be abused?"  (and, "what if 6 billion people did this?")

identities without history will be a dime a dozen, or cheaper.  spammers
with no history could trample your privacy all day long if you allowed it.

accepting incoming communication from someone the world has no hooks into
is off the table.  allowing the world to have its hooks in someone whose
identity you don't know (and could never find out) has to continue to work,
but anonymity and homelessness are not the same thing.