Re: IESG review of RFC Editor documents

2004-03-26 16:56:29
And while the RFC Editor could (and I assume does) enlist volunteers to assist it in such review, this amounts to an approval process for IETF publications that isn't accountable to the IETF community, not even with a noncom-like mechanism.

Of course, even in the current de facto system of IESG review, the RFC Editor has the ability (under the current written "rules") to ignore the IESG even if it recommends against publication and publish anyway. As far as I know, we've never come to that particular "constitutional crisis".

IIRC it happened at least twice while I was on IESG.