Re: IESG review of RFC Editor documents

2004-03-27 07:04:25

    > From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt(_at_)OpenLDAP(_dot_)org>

    > I prefer to keep the bar low. I, frankly, don't see a problem with
    > there being more crap published as RFCs, whether produced by WGs or
    > produced by individuals.

I'm going to side with Keith here, right down the line (for once :-). The
issues of security, scaling, money, credibility etc all weigh towards being
careful with RFC's.

As to the "information propogation" argument, we have this wonderful thing
called the WWW that allows anyone to "publish" anything they want, in a way
that almost anyone can get it trivially. We also have I-D's, which allow
people to actively bring their stuff to other people's attention (although so
many I-D's come out now that I expect most people don't even carefully read
all the announcements any more). So I reckon that disposes of that point; it
might have been valid in 1974, but not in 2004.

        Noel