Re: [Ietf] New .mobi, .xxx, ... TLDs?

2004-04-23 12:41:42
On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:29:03AM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
I have to digest the rest of this further, but I would say right away that
if I connect to http://ibm.tel, I'd probably expect to reach the VOIP
portal, where I could sign up for VOIP services from IBM.  I'd expect that
a voip connection to tel://ibm.com would get me to the headquarters
switchboard, and that tel://ibm.tel gets me to the VOIP switchboard (ie
VOIP customer service).

Hmmm ...
    For instance, Internet addresses ending in ".mobi" would allow sites
    built for the small screens of mobile phones.

From that reading I'd conclude they have no interest in registering
another domain like
    ibm-mobile
    miscrosoft-mobile
and so on, but rather have a new TLD where they could put
    ibm.mobi
    microsoft.mobi
and so on.

There is no need for a .mobi (and why the hell don't they use .mobile)
domain in order to deliver optimized web pages/sites.

IMHO all these have their origin in that the "semantic web" is at best
a slow starter and they try to put sematics into the web by adding
"semantic TLDs".

So in the future we will see a lot more sponsored requests for new TLDs
like >>insert index of yellow pages<<.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299