Re: [Ietf] New .mobi, .xxx, ... TLDs?

2004-04-26 19:10:27
Thus spake "Dean Anderson" <dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com>
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, jfcm wrote:
".tel" and ".mobi" are technically inconsistent propositions. They
confuse
what belongs to the scheme (protocol/application) with what  belongs to
the
naming (users group). The same as was ".web" did in 2000.

I have to digest the rest of this further, but I would say right away that
if I connect to http://ibm.tel, I'd probably expect to reach the VOIP
portal, where I could sign up for VOIP services from IBM.  I'd expect that
a voip connection to tel://ibm.com would get me to the headquarters
switchboard, and that tel://ibm.tel gets me to the VOIP switchboard (ie
VOIP customer service).

You're confusing URI methods, protocols, and TLDs disastrously.

The "tel" URI method is for dialing using E.164 numbers, e.g.
"tel:+18005551212", which will probably be translated to a different URI via
ENUM.  For telephones using user/domain names, use the "sip" URI method,
e.g. "sip:support(_at_)example(_dot_)com".  There is no need for a .tel TLD,
and adding
one ignores existing, logical solutions.

Likewise, there is no reason for a .mobi TLD; either mobile clients should
use the standard "http" method to negotiate the content/format/encoding with
servers as needed via HTTP's existing mechanisms, or if necessary a new
method/protocol should be defined, e.g. "wap://www.example.com/".

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin