Re: [Ietf] New .mobi, .xxx, ... TLDs?

2004-04-29 06:12:15
In message
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)44(_dot_)0404271736160(_dot_)27330-100000(_at_)cirrus(_dot_)av8(_dot_)net>,
 Dean Ande
rson writes:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

You're confusing URI methods, protocols, and TLDs disastrously.

I think it is you who is reading too much into the .tel and .mobi TLD.

These are not proposals to put URI method functionality into domain names,

Sure there are.  Here's a direct quote from the .mobi proposal:

        Businesses and consumers that utilise mobile devices will
        be able to take advantage of a wide range of Internet
        services and content under the mTLD that have been specifically
        tailored for access and use by mobile devices. The sponsored
        TLD provides a clearly recognisable mobile label to the
        services and content, indicating that they will be easy
        and convenient to use with mobile devices. By choice of
        suitable mobile-specific technologies, the service offering
        can be adapted to mobile-specific characteristics, such as
        the limitations of mobile networks and devices (throughput,
        temporary signal loss, etc), which will result in a better
        user experience for those services.

I find it hard to interpret that text in any other fashion -- they want
to describe end-to-end protocols by DNS name.

There are two proposals for .tel; here's text from one of them:

        Sub-domains of ".tel" may not be arbitrarily defined; rather
        they are defined in accordance with the ITU E.164 standard.
        A valid e164 domain name under the ".tel" TLD is defined
        as follows:

        Start with a telephone number: 1-212-332-1234.

        Remove all non-numeric characters: 12123321234.

        Reverse the order of the number: 43212332121.

        Separate by dots: 4.3.2.1.2.3.3.2.1.2.1.

        Add the sTLD:  4.3.2.1.2.3.3.2.1.2.1.tel.

That looks like an ENUM competitor to me.  (The other .tel proposal
looks like a generic TLD at first reading.)