Problem of blocking ICMP packets

2004-05-07 07:33:57
Dear All,
I am in process of implementing Path MTU detection technique. So for that I
have to send ICMP ECHO request packets to destination host, and process the
received ICMP ECHO reply packets.
I read that the ICMP server is embedded in the kernel of OS itself, so there is
no need to write server code at all. So for sending and receiving of ICMP
packets we will use raw sockets without specifying any port number.
But in between the network, some routers have some firewall configuration so
that they will simply drop any incomming ICMP packet without sending any
response to the sender. Hence originating host will not be aware of the status
of destination host.
These firewall settings are due to some attacks like Ping of deth, Denial of
request etc.
Can any one provide me any solution to overcome this problem.

Thanks in advance.