Re: Problem of blocking ICMP packets

2004-05-07 13:48:01
Rajat wrote:

Can any one provide me any solution to overcome this problem.

In addition to PMTUD, you should have PMUTD availability
discovery that if it is discovered, say by persistent lack
of responses, that PMTUD is not working, you should turn off
PMTUD and just live with fragmentations.

I recommend that, to avoid long initial delay and intermediate
lack of communication after path changes of, PMTUD should turnd
off by default and should be activated only on extreme
conditions.

Further, it should be noted that PMTUD is so unreliable that
no applications rely on it, which means that even under
extreme conditions rational operators won't turn on PMTUD.

In short, forget PMTUD.
                                                Masataka Ohta