Re: Not sure if this is the right place for this

2004-05-09 16:56:33
This is not an IETF problem, but a general problem with upgrading legacy
services and software. Everyone has this same problem, and has to choose
their own approach to the problem.  You cannot move faster than your
client software base.  It means that you may have to either adjust your
security policy to accomodate those legacy clients, or exclude legacy
clients altogether.  Some people must do the former. Some other people can
do the latter.

Since you are in a limited internal academic environment, you probably
have more lattitude to specify that all of your users use a given set of
software products that meets your security and software protocol goals.
However, if for some reason this is unsuitable, then you have to adjust
your security policy. Those are your choices.

One thing: You should pay close attention to the fact that some of the
protocols you have mentioned are experimental, and probably should not be
used for production environments.

                --Dean