Re: Not sure if this is the right place for this

2004-05-09 20:24:35
On May 9, 2004, at 7:33 PM, ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

I've noticed a trend with the adoption of SSL/TLS that I'm not sure is
really in the best long term interests of the community.

I believe there's a strong consensus that this trend _is_ in the best long
interests of the community.

[snip]
(I will refer
to this as the "alternate port strategy")

This strategy suffers from several serious flaws, especially in situations
where SSL/TLS is only used some of the time.

[snip]
Offering alternate port support is no longer a "smart thing" to do.

So, you given this conclusion 3 times (that it's not in the best long term interest, that it's flawed, and that it's not the smart thing to do). Would you care to elaborate at all on that?

What are the flaws?  How is it not good for the community?