Re: 13 Root Server Limitation

2004-05-17 14:57:43
On Mon, 17 May 2004, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

This dubious anycast configuration was discussed and "approved" by the
NAMEDROPPERS Working Group in late November, 2002.

To the best of my knowledge there where root-servers anycasted way
before this date.

This may be true, but it certainly wasn't widespread.

And I have no idea why the namedroppers mailinglist (or the IETF for
that matter) would have to approve how the root-servers are operated?

I have no idea why anyone would bother to ask a group of DNS protocol
experts about a DNS protocol-affecting change to the operation of root
namerservers, either. The insanity. Go figure.  Why not just go do it, and
see what breaks? Screw the possible false assumptions. Besides, if it
doesn't break on my shift, it wasn't my fault.  Who needs engineers when
you have operators?  People worry too much.

Of course, this same line of thought led to the 3 Mile Island meltdown,
when the __operators__ decided on their own to shut off the emergency
cooling pumps. By the time the engineers came in and told them to turn the
pumps back on it was too late. Although, it could have been worse if
delayed longer.  But it wouldn't have happened at all if the operators
hadn't turned off the emergency cooling pumps.  Moral: Just because you
can operate something, and know _how_ to make changes, doesn't mean you
know what changes are safe or wise to make.

                --Dean