Re: Root Anycast

2004-05-18 16:31:15
On 18 May 2004, Paul Vixie wrote:

Careful design by whom?  Organic compared to what?  I assure you that f-root
has grown by careful design.  It's only organic in that we go where we're
invited rather than having a gigantic budget that could be used as a leash.

Do you mean "Careful Design" like the non-standard changes in Bind 9 AXFR
and IXFR?  I don't think we can take too much of that sort of thing in the
operation of the root servers before we have serious problems.

Unilateral action is not a good thing. There is no point in having an IETF
(Remember the "Internet __Engineering__ Task Force" in IETF) if you just
implement whatever you think OK at the moment (AXFR mods, IXFR mods,
Anycast, and probably more that we just don't yet know about)

                --Dean