Re: Root Anycast

2004-05-18 18:38:14

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Dean Anderson wrote:

On 18 May 2004, Paul Vixie wrote:

The result is a service which has never been "down hard", not ever, not for
any millisecond out of the last 15 years.  This is "strength by diversity."

This isn't quite true. There have been multiple server failures. And if I
recall, I think that there have been quite a few servers (like 12 of 13)
that have been down at one time in this timeframe.

But I haven't been keeping close track.  If someone has been keeping
operational stats (like outage date, cause, postmortem) on the roots, I'd
appreciate a pointer to this...

Outage reports and an outage archives maintained by the legacy root
operators would be nice.

I also rmember many incidents over the years involving root server outages
- but it's never official.  usually someone discovers a problem and
sometimes a root operator responds.  Usually in NANOG.

cheers
joe baptista