Re: spoofing email addresses

2004-05-30 10:13:54
From: Mark Smith
<ietf(_at_)130c04165a5b40404e4440445758487a(_dot_)nosense(_dot_)org>

people to monitor and deal with their abusive customers.  That
is why many of the providers of those $30/month accounts submit
their own IP address blocks to various "dynamic" backlists or
block port 25 themselves.

Do you have more information or references regarding your
statements above? I'm interested in any studies etc.

The easiest study is to look at your own spam load.

The most recent public study or reliable comment I'm aware of
was the statement from Comcast about how much spam they send in
http://news.com.com/Attack+of+Comcast%27s+Internet+zombies/2010-1034_3-5218178.html

See also http://www.senderbase.org/?searchString=comcast.net&searchBy=domain
and http://www.senderbase.org/

(I do not believe SenderBase's numbers are accurate to better than
several percent of total Internet mail or tens of millions of
msgs/day.  I know that their numbers for the domain names and IP
addresses I control are nonsense, but my domains and addresses are
directly involved with 5 or 6 orders of magnitude less mail than
those listed in http://www.senderbase.org/ )

I would find TCP port 25  being blocked by my ISP to be
unacceptable. It isn't the Internet anymore. The Internet's job
is to shunt around IP packets, irrespective of what is in them.

That is inaccurate.  From ancient days it has also been the job
of people running things to prevent traffic that would violate
various agreements, AUPs, TOS, and so forth.

My anti-spam measures are so effective that I can't remember the
last spam I received.

Yes, spam filtering can be quite effective.  I say this based in part
on the results of the DCC, which handled about 136,000,000 mail messages
on May 26.  However, the effectiveness of input filtering is irrelevant
to the need to deal with spam at its sources.

                      I would find not be able to run my own MTA,
unfortunately on a dynamically assigned IP ADSL service, as that
is all I can afford, to be far more costly than the very
negligable reduction in spam I would receive if TCP port 25 was
blocked by ISPs.

I cannot understand that as other than a demand that I subsidize your
Internet service.

If you think that everyone has the right to run their own MTAs, why
don't you insist that Full Internet Connectivity be free?