Re: spoofing email addresses

2004-05-30 20:44:20
On Sun, 30 May 2004 11:04:32 -0600 (MDT)
Vernon Schryver <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com> wrote:

From: Mark Smith
<ietf(_at_)130c04165a5b40404e4440445758487a(_dot_)nosense(_dot_)org>

people to monitor and deal with their abusive customers.
That is why many of the providers of those $30/month
accounts submit their own IP address blocks to various
"dynamic" backlists or block port 25 themselves.

Do you have more information or references regarding your
statements above? I'm interested in any studies etc.

The easiest study is to look at your own spam load.

The most recent public study or reliable comment I'm aware of
was the statement from Comcast about how much spam they send in
http://news.com.com/Attack+of+Comcast%27s+Internet+zombies/2010-1034_3-5218178.html

See also
http://www.senderbase.org/?searchString=comcast.net&searchBy=domain
and http://www.senderbase.org/

(I do not believe SenderBase's numbers are accurate to better
than several percent of total Internet mail or tens of millions
of msgs/day.  I know that their numbers for the domain names
and IP addresses I control are nonsense, but my domains and
addresses are directly involved with 5 or 6 orders of magnitude
less mail than those listed in http://www.senderbase.org/ )

Thanks for those links, I'll have a read.

I would find TCP port 25  being blocked by my ISP to be
unacceptable. It isn't the Internet anymore. The Internet's
job is to shunt around IP packets, irrespective of what is in
them.

That is inaccurate.  From ancient days it has also been the job
of people running things to prevent traffic that would violate
various agreements, AUPs, TOS, and so forth.

My anti-spam measures are so effective that I can't remember
the last spam I received.

Yes, spam filtering can be quite effective.

Not using spam filtering ... I don't like the chances of false
positives or negatives.

My idea is similar to the idea of abandoning a phone number if
you get too many prank calls. Similar to abandoning a phone
number, when I abandon an email address, I don't even see the
spam traffic - I'm not filtering it out.

I've got a bit of a description of what I'm doing at the
following URL.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=184280#r4

It's not going to be perfect, nor am I claiming it to be,
however, I've found it to be pretty effective.

  I say this based
in part on the results of the DCC, which handled about
136,000,000 mail messages on May 26.  However, the
effectiveness of input filtering is irrelevant to the need to
deal with spam at its sources.

                      I would find not be able to run my own
                      MTA,
unfortunately on a dynamically assigned IP ADSL service, as
that is all I can afford, to be far more costly than the very
negligable reduction in spam I would receive if TCP port 25
was blocked by ISPs.

I cannot understand that as other than a demand that I
subsidize your Internet service.

If you think that everyone has the right to run their own MTAs,
why don't you insist that Full Internet Connectivity be free?

I struggle to understand how you make such a dramatic jump in
"position" (I can't think of a better way to describe it at the
moment). I can't see the logical progression from being able to
run an MTA, to getting Internet connectivity for free. Of course,
if you're really making that offer, I'm quite interested :-)

Why do I run an MTA, and want that ability ? Because I run my own
domain name (nosense.org), allowing my email addresses to be ISP
independent, and I use multiple subdomains for email, which means
I fairly regularly need to change the MTA configuration. My
broadly, I don't want to have to rely on an ISP running an MTA
configuration which may not best suit my needs, when those needs
are or may be different from the general requirements of their
user base. It's sort of a "if you want something done
properly, do it yourself" situation.

Regards,
Mark.