Re: spoofing email addresses

2004-05-28 06:52:05
Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 27-mei-04, at 16:56, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

(I've yet to see a proposal that works if the spammers start
utilizing zombie machines that snarf the already-stored credentials of the user
to send mail)....

The question is whether spammers can obtain new credentials (stolen or otherwise) faster than others can blacklist them.

And, if you had actually read the message you replied to, you would have realized that the answer is yes. Send out a worm that makes N zombies, have each zombie send one message under the local user's credentials, and none of them will get blacklisted.

|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centive(_dot_)com                        |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com                      |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.                     |
|The light at the end of the tunnel is a terawatt laser cannon. |