Re: spoofing email addresses

2004-05-28 10:41:06
At 9:17 PM +0000 05/27/2004, Paul Vixie wrote:

MARID is basically a layer 9 exercise, uninterested in engineering as
such.  it was formed to merge two ill considered ideas, one from yahoo
and one from microsoft, in a way that would cause either no loss of face,
or equal loss of face, for those two parties.  the people who submit
their own ideas to it are wasting their time.

As the AD who sponsored this work, I have to disagree.   The MARID
work came out of the LMAP area of the Anti-Spam Research Group,
and there were multiple proposals there.  All of them are being
treated as input into MARID, and that fact is called out in the charter.
The recent interim meeting resulted in an agreement to work on
a converged spec taking ideas from SPF and Caller-ID.  There are
two other proposals on the table which address other parts of
the mail exchange, and there was a sense in the meeting that they
were sufficiently orthogonal that they might progress independently.
None of the work mentioned above relates to Yahoo's proposal.
Anyone interested in the work is welcome to participate in
MARID's mailing list; it has a very tight deadline and a very high
volume mailing list, and those willing to put engineering effort
into it are more than welcome.

Speaking as a participant, I have to say that this is a hard set of
problems, both to define well and to solve.  The efforts to
define it well do occasionally drift into layer 9, and limiting
that is something everyone involved has to watch.  But
I do believe there are some tractable pieces here we can pull
off of the problem and solve, and I believe the working group
is committed to that task, no matter who proposes the solution.

                        regards,
                                Ted Hardie