Re: STD series of documents

2004-06-07 06:30:23

Michael Richardson wrote:

"Valdis" == Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu> writes:

    Valdis> But anyhow, if we ever update STD005, we'll just do the
    Valdis> obvious - create STD079 or whatever we're up to, stick an
    Valdis> "Obsoletes: STD005" on it, and stick an "Obsoleted By:
    Valdis> STD079" on STD005, and the RFC Editor will turn the crank

  That is not my understanding.
  What you describe would occur to the RFCxxxx document.

  However, "STD005" is just a pointer, and it can be changed to point at
the new RFC that defined STD005.

Right now that's not always what happens.

See: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html

e.g., STD34 is replaced by STD56

I don't have an example of a STD for which the RFC changed. Some STDs point to RFCs that obsolete other RFCs, but the info as to whether the STD ever pointed to that obsoleted RFC isn't captured anywhere I saw...

Joe