Re: STD series of documents

2004-06-07 06:32:25

Michael Richardson wrote:

"Joe" == Joe Touch <touch(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU> writes:

    >> One thing to consider, is having a web server which, when asked
    >> for: http://www.ietf.org/ref/rfc0791.txt redirects to:
    >> http://www.ietf.org/std/std005.txt

    Joe> STD-5 is a nice choice - it actually refers to 6 different
    Joe> RFCs.

You mean that there are 5 documents in the set.

IP      Internet Protocol       791      5
ICMP    Internet Control Message Protocol       792     5
---------       Broadcasting Internet Datagrams         919     5
---------       Broadcasting Internet datagrams in the presence of subnets
922     5
--------        Internet Standard Subnetting Procedure  950     5
IGMP    Host extensions for IP multicasting     1112    5

I rechecked, and still count 6 there... ;-)

  Hmm. I didn't realize that this occured.

See http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html

It affects STDs: 3,5,8,10,13,16,19,51,58 and 62 (I may have missed some), or on average 1 in 6, and some of the most likely to be cited (host requirements, DNS, IP, telnet, SMTP, PPP, SNMP)

Joe