National network harmonization efforts?

2004-09-08 05:24:31
My government has concluded after various complains, that with the advance of broadband connections some providers in the market deliver not-so-compatible-and-transparant services. E.g. NATs are used inside the network, ADSL2+ and VDSL don't fit together very well etc. This would not be bothersome if we had a clean and open market situation, as the consumers would vote with their feet and make it right. However we don't.

Thus my government has decided to ask a small committee to make an inventory of "may" "shoulds" and "musts" for broadband infrastructure in order to educate people providing the service, to inform the the consumers and to help the content providers. (And no, it will not be enforced with a conformance test center :-).

I have been asked to participate in this effort, and will do so, but I was wondering wether other countries have gone through the same excercise. I already got hold of an article describing a similar effort in Italy.

if you know of a similar effort in your country please mail me privately with answers and references. I will compile a summary for the IETF list.

Thanks,
Erik Huizer
University Utrecht/Twente