In the report, Scenario C has clearly identified the need for a "board of
directors" as oversight function for the administrative entity.
Margaret has also pointed out the need for such a function in scenarios A
and B - and multiple people have made the point that this is NOT a job that
the selection process for the IESG and IAB is well suited for.
I'd like to hear people's comments:
1) Do we agree that such a group of people is needed? (I think the answer
is "yes" - but it's good to check)
2) What do we think this group should be responsible for, and have the
power to do - either directly/formally or through "the board advises
<person with the power>, and person will do so" agreements?
3) What's an appropriate selection mechanism for that group?
As a reminder, here's the proposal for selection from appendix D of the
*Section 4: Selection of the Board of Trustee*
1. *Selection of Position-Based Trustees.* The Chairs of the IETF
and IAB shall be the two Position-Based Trustees. These
individuals are selected by IETF participants using the
procedures set forth in [RFC3777] or its successor.
2. *Selection of Selected Trustees.* Three Selected Trustees shall
be selected by the IETF nominations process (as defined in
[RFC3777] or its successor) and confirmed by the IESG. Two
Selected Trustees shall be selected by the internet Society using
means of their own choosing.
3. *Resignation.* A Selected Trustee may resign by delivering his
resignation in writing to the Foundation at its principal office
or to the Secretary of the Foundation. Such resignation shall be
effective upon its receipt or upon such date (if any) as is
stated in such resignation, unless otherwise determined by the
4. *Removal.* A Selected Trustee selected by the IETF nominations
process may be removed from office at any time using the
procedures specified in [RFC3777] or its successor. A Selected
Trustee selected by the Internet Society my be removed by the
Internet Society using means of their own choosing.
5. *Vacancies.* Any vacancy in the Board of Trustees shall be filled
using the procedures set forth above on the composition of the
Board of Trustees. The Trustees shall have and may exercise all
of their powers notwithstanding the existence of one or more
vacancies in their number.
Ietf mailing list