An oversight function - composition thereof?

2004-09-10 02:45:45
In the report, Scenario C has clearly identified the need for a "board of directors" as oversight function for the administrative entity.

Margaret has also pointed out the need for such a function in scenarios A and B - and multiple people have made the point that this is NOT a job that the selection process for the IESG and IAB is well suited for.

I'd like to hear people's comments:

1) Do we agree that such a group of people is needed? (I think the answer is "yes" - but it's good to check)

2) What do we think this group should be responsible for, and have the power to do - either directly/formally or through "the board advises <person with the power>, and person will do so" agreements?

3) What's an appropriate selection mechanism for that group?

As a reminder, here's the proposal for selection from appendix D of the report:

  *Section 4: Selection of the Board of Trustee*
  1.  *Selection of Position-Based Trustees.* The Chairs of the IETF
      and IAB shall be the two Position-Based Trustees.  These
      individuals are selected by IETF participants using the
      procedures set forth in [RFC3777] or its successor.
  2.  *Selection of Selected Trustees.* Three Selected Trustees shall
      be selected by the IETF nominations process (as defined in
      [RFC3777] or its successor) and confirmed by the IESG.  Two
      Selected Trustees shall be selected by the internet Society using
      means of their own choosing.
  3.  *Resignation.* A Selected Trustee may resign by delivering his
      resignation in writing to the Foundation at its principal office
      or to the Secretary of the Foundation.  Such resignation shall be
      effective upon its receipt or upon such date (if any) as is
      stated in such resignation, unless otherwise determined by the
      Board.
  4.  *Removal.* A Selected Trustee selected by the IETF nominations
      process may be removed from office at any time using the
      procedures specified in [RFC3777] or its successor.  A Selected
      Trustee selected by the Internet Society my be removed by the
      Internet Society using means of their own choosing.
  5.  *Vacancies.* Any vacancy in the Board of Trustees shall be filled
      using the procedures set forth above on the composition of the
      Board of Trustees.  The Trustees shall have and may exercise all
      of their powers notwithstanding the existence of one or more
      vacancies in their number.