Re: archives (was The other parts of the report....

2004-09-11 13:26:07

Having gone through this particular debate a few times before, let
me just repeat what others have told me when I suggested we keep
our documents archived and accessible:

- Vendors are "stupid" and will claim compliance with a work-in-progress
  document instead of a final standard. This is "very bad"

- Drafts often change along the way (including being completely discarded
  as "bad ideas") and we should discard such snapshots in case someone
  gets the wrong idea from reading one.

Needless to say, I don't really buy these arguments. As someone who
publishes articles where the only existing reference might be an ID at
the time of writing, I believe there are better mechanisms we could
use (as we do with RFCs and the "Obsoletes/Obsoleted by" tags).

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Academic Research and Technology Initiatives, Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj