RE: WG Review: Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance (beha ve) (fwd)

2004-09-20 14:32:31

The consensus of the room at the BEHAVE BoF (which included a number of
prominent NAT vendors) was not only that the IETF could draft
recommendations to make NATs a lesser evil, but further, that some important
NAT vendors would be likely to follow these recommendations. Regardless of
how tactical this work may be, given longer-term solutions to the addressing
problem, I think there is value in executing on it, and a significant
community of interest behind it.

I must agree with Harald that the number of IPv4 NATs sold is likely to
increase for at least a few more years now, especially in residential
Ethernet hubs/WiFi base stations, most of which have regular firmware
upgrades, etc. I certainly don't think it is impossible for us to influence
the design of these devices. If consumers at least have the option of buying
such devices that are more favorable to their applications, then I think we
will have made a significant difference here.

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 5:04 AM
To: Pekka Savola
Cc: iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: WG Review: Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance
(behave) (fwd)

I think the real point is that it's quite unrealistic at this
stage in the history of NAT to imagine that we can make the mess
(which was inevitable anyway) any better by codifying the
least-bad form of NAT behaviour. The NAT codes are shipped, burnt
into lots of devices, and the IETF can't do much about it.
So I think this would be wasted effort.

    Brian

Pekka Savola wrote:
[[ Resending the comment to ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org as
ietf-behave(_at_)list(_dot_)sipfoundry(_dot_)org illegitimately *)
automatically
rejects the posts by non-subscribers.

*) http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/mail-submit-policy.txt
]]