RE: WG Review: Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance (beha ve) (fwd)

2004-09-27 09:44:46
Let's not forget: it takes an average of over 2 years to publish an RFC.

If the market explodes in the next 2 years, we will have significantly
missed the chance to influence the industry.

Unless, of course, the expectation is that the NAT business will *continue*
to expand in the 2-4 year time horizon.

-----Original Message-----
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand [mailto:harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 8:29 AM
To: Brian E Carpenter; Pekka Savola
Cc: iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: WG Review: Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance
(behave) (fwd)

--On 20. september 2004 14:03 +0200 Brian E Carpenter
<brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I think the real point is that it's quite unrealistic at this
stage in the history of NAT to imagine that we can make the mess
(which was inevitable anyway) any better by codifying the
least-bad form of NAT behaviour. The NAT codes are shipped, burnt
into lots of devices, and the IETF can't do much about it.
So I think this would be wasted effort.

My take (which is obviously biased) is that the number of NAT
devices 2
years from now is likely to be significantly larger than the
number of NAT
devices currently deployed.

And - here I am making a real leap of faith - if the IETF
recommendations
for NAT devices make manufacturers who listen to them create
NAT devices
that make their customers more happy, then many of these new
NAT devices
may  be conformant to IETF recommendations.

If we're really, really lucky - and reasonably fast - we
could make the
experience of people using the Internet better - "make the
Internet work
better" for those users.
And that's what the IETF is supposed to do, isn't it?

(Note - I sympathize with Pekka's touching faith in Teredo as the Big
Solution.... I hope he's right. So the NAT recommendations
may in that case
boil down to a single sentence:

"Don't break Teredo"

If that's the case.... it's worth saying.)

                 Harald