Re: Scenario C or Scenario O ? - I say let us go for C !

2004-09-23 06:53:11

Hi Bert,

Both you and Ted have posted preferences for Scenario C that, to me, seem to say "We will eventually have to go to Scenario C, anyway, so we should undertake that effort today rather than leaving it for later." This might be a compelling argument if it were clear to me that we will need to move to Scenario C in the future. Could you explain why you think that would be desireable? What are the practical advantages that you see to having two separate corporations (ISOC and the IASF), one responsible for fund raising and some standards-related tasks, and the other responsible for our administrative support?

Personally, I see the Scenario C structure (which involves the IASF having a huge financial dependence on ISOC with only few other weak/indirect links between the two organizations) as much less likely to be stable long-term than the structure proposed in Scenario O (a single corporation, ISOC, responsible for administrative support and fund raising).

In my personal opinion, it will be much better (cheaper, less risky, more likely to succeed) for the IETF to deal with a single support organization that handles both our administrative support activity and our fund raising. This will clarify and strengthen our fund raising efforts, allow the IETF to deal with a single corporate entity, and avoid the need to deal with a weak/confusing/one-sided link between the corporation that performs our fund raising and the corporation that handles our administrative budget. This reasoning leads me to a preference for either Scenario O or Scenario D (the main difference, in my opinion, being whether we go with ISOC or found a new corporation).

I think that using an existing corporation (ISOC) will be much cheaper and less risky than setting up a new corporation, and I don't see any reason to believe that our chances of success are any higher with a new corporation than they would be with the corporation that we created ~10 years ago. ISOC has already gone through the initial establishment phase and is now fiscally sound and stable. This has many practical benefits for the IETF, such as ISOC's proven ability to get a substantial credit line to support an IETF transition. This leads me to choose Scenario O as the most likely stable and successful end-point for our efforts.

Could you explain in more detail why you believe that Scenario C would be a better end-point?

Margaret