RE: Scenario O Re: Upcoming: further thoughts on where from here

2004-09-23 08:58:40
At 1:08 AM -0700 9/23/04, Tony Hain wrote:
2.1.4 - 6 months for the reserve is a funny number for an organization where
the nominal income period is 4 months. Wouldn't it make more sense to spell
out a reserve that covered a disaster case of a canceled meeting after the
contracts had been signed? Something like:
Also, in normal operating circumstances, the IASA would look to have a 6
month operating reserve for its non-meeting activities plus twice the recent
average for meeting contract guarantees.

I had been thinking that the IAOC will probably choose to get event
insurance to cover cancellation of an IETF meeting due to outside
forces (airline strike, earthquake, etc.).

Mmm.. maybe for those.
But I bet not for tragic events like terrorist strikes/threats or war related
issues. So setting up some reserves of our own seems better to me.
Also no so sure about things like a SARS outbreak and people just choose
to not to travel.

Bert