Scenario C or Scenario O ?

2004-09-23 13:56:20
I think that either Scenario is perfectly workable, but my
own preference is for Scenario C.  I have read the email from John and
others about the possible dangers of incorporation, and the added
complexity, etc., and they strike me as valid concerns about Scenario
C.  But my own inclinations are to agree with Ted Hardie's
comments about functional differentiation, posted September 7.

For me one of the goals would be for the administrative
support functions to be provided in a manner that was as simple,
straightforward, and un-encumbered *as possible* (given that neither
scenario is either simple, straightforward, or un-encumbered).  And
my best guess, right now, is that having the IETF's administrative
support functions as separate as possible from the more complex
(and considerably more important) policy and education missions of
ISOC would be a good thing for accomplishing the administrative
support functions.  (It also makes perfect sense to me that
others would not see Scenario C as the more simple, straightforward,
or unencumbered of the two approaches, looking from a different lens,
so probably those aren't particularly useful words to introduce...)

- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/