RE: Time horizon, contingencies, and destinations (was scenarios 0 and C)

2004-09-27 14:39:33
Again, inline.

At 12:36 PM -0700 9/27/04, Tony Hain wrote:
Ted Hardie wrote:
 >There is nothing explicitly proposed in C, but run the thought experiment
 of
 >what would happen if a major contributor to the administrative entity
 >threatened to pull funding if X didn't happen on the technical process
 side.
 >It is not hard to get to the point of 'do X or fold the organization for
 >lack of funds'.

 Hmm. If I understand C correctly, the meeting fees are intended to be
 the funding source with augmentation (if needed) by fund raising
 done by ISOC.  Such a threat would be going to ISOC, then, just
 as it would be under O.

 The same argument could be made about ISOC's donors and the
 RFC Editor decisions and/or appeals decisions.  Such interference
 has not, to my knowledge, ever occurred.  Whether this is because
 ISOC has refused donations which came so encumbered or because
 those who might have offered them recognized ISOC would do
 so, I don't know.  In either case, I don't see your thought experiment
 producing a different result.

The point is there is no real independence without complete funding, and as
I understand the recent budgets we are seriously into 'augmentation is
necessary'. Asking ISOC to be the cover organization at the same time you
tell them you don't trust them to do the right thing for managing the
administrative functions is just silly. If you don't trust them to do the
day to day right, why do you trust them to provide cover funding when it is
needed? You either trust them or you don't.

ISOC is the cover organization in the funding sense for the RFC Editor;
that doesn't mean we want them to *be* the RFC Editor.  Saying that
an organization that fund raises for a function *must* take on that
function just doesn't fit our history and, frankly, doesn't have
the imperative that I sense people giving it here.  They *can* be
separate; the question is whether they *should* be.

I trust ISOC, and I am happy with their role in the standards process; I
don't want that to change, and I don't think either proposal does so.  But
I don't think the job of ISOC in education, policy, or outreach is the same
job as the administrative entity, and I don't think blending them is a
long term win.  In the short term, we may well need ISOC to incubate
an administrative entity, but in the long run ISOC's core mission
and the administrative entity's will be different.

Again, two cents from an IETF participant,
                                regards,
                                        Ted Hardie