Re: NomCom 2004/05 Volunteers

2004-09-28 17:13:07

On Tuesday, September 28, 2004 15:34:45 -0700 Joe Touch <touch(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU> wrote:

Sorry for the missing subtext:

If the nominations themselves ended up being more diverse, a more diverse
set of people might care to help select them.

On the contrary, with a pool of nominees that is not very diverse, people SHOULD be more interested in participating in the selection process, not less. Of course, we all know that SHOULD really means "will be ignored at least some of the time".

If we want the system to be more diverse, we need to find a way to allow
participation at lower levels, such that support letters aren't a
prerequisite.

There are plenty of ways to participate at lower levels:
- document authors/editors
- working group chairs
- members of directorates
- volunteer for nomcom

What we need, I think, is ways to reduce the workload of IESG members such that people won't be scared away from those positions just because they don't have funding to devote 100% of their time to the IETF.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+(_at_)cmu(_dot_)edu>
  Sr. Research Systems Programmer