Re: Reminder: Poll about restructuring options

2004-10-04 15:02:00
John,

In this context, my precise objection to what is going on now
rests on a comparison with that style of leadership.  Jon's
style involved persuasion, logic, facts, and trying to
understand the point of view of those with whom he disagreed.
Like you, I disagreed with some of his positions and decisions,
and I found him quite stubborn when he thought he was right (not
always a bad trait), but I could almost always end up
understanding his point of view.  By contrast, we are now seeing
a different style of position-taking and decision-making, one
that terrifies me.  The new style involves assertions of the
"rights" of the people who occupy IESG and IAB seats (because
they are in those seats) instead of explanation and openness
with the community about details and options, and involves
(virtually) shouting "wrong" instead of engaging in discussion
and persuasion.

Perhaps the IETF traditional motto, "rough consensus and working
code" should be revised to make it clear that the "rough consensus"
goes only up to a certain point, but after that point the IETF
operates solely by a decree from the IESG.

Yakov.