Re: Reminder: Poll about restructuring options

2004-10-04 09:50:28

Spencer Dawkins wrote:
Erk!

I haven't been involved with W3C since 2000, but I WAS involved in W3C during the late 1990s. It's worth pointing out that the "alternate routing" mechanism _did_ include a king - at that time, Tim was doing final endorsement for all "recommendations", and it looks like Director Endorsement is still the case (see http://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/tr.html#q73).

You know, Spencer. We *had* a king for a VERY long time, and it was Jon Postel as RFC Editor and IANA. And somehow we survived. While Jon was around somehow a vast plethora of standards got vetted, not the least of which were IP, TCP, UDP, ICMP, SMTP, FTP, SMTP, NNTP and DNS. I agreed with some of his decisions and disagreed with others. Probably the same would be true with Tim Berners Lee.

But you missed my point. Don't like the IETF or the W3C? Try the TMF or the DMTF or the ITU or the GGF or the IEEE or roll your own (everyone else has ;-). I'm not saying don't make the IETF better. I think you do, by the way, through your participation (same with John Klensin and Dave Crocker, fwiw).

I am saying that people have and will route around damage. Over this decision I doubt it will come to this. I have faith that the people in the IAB and the IESG care enough about the organization to listen to experts and make a good decision. I hope my faith is not misplaced.

Regards,

Eliot