Re: Copying conditions

2004-10-07 11:21:21
 In your previous mail you wrote:

   > => I can't understand why the copyright about a text is a problem
   > for software when the documentation is explicitely "without
   > restriction of any kind".

   Where does it say this?  Note that the quote I sent earlier was the
   old RFC 2026 copying condition, which I agree with you is OK.  The new
   text is in RFC 3667, which seem murkier to me.  I cannot find "without
   restriction" in it, for example.

=> RFC 3667 style for copyright statements says nearly nothing about
the rights the ISOC grants to us... IMHO you're right and there is a real
issue even any restriction has to be written down to exist (the only
condition is to keep the original copyright).

   > Perhaps we don't share the meaning of "derivative works" (for me,
   > this can't be code itself)?

   If you extract, say, a C header file, or an ASN.1 schema, from an RFC
   into an application, I believe that may be regard as a "derivative
   work".

=> RFC 3667 7.1e seems the right answer.

Thanks

Francis(_dot_)Dupont(_at_)enst-bretagne(_dot_)fr