Re: Copying conditions

2004-10-10 17:13:28
Simon sez:

  For IDN, I want to be able to extract the tables from RFC 3454 and use
  them in my implementation.

  For Kerberos, I want to be able to use the ASN.1 schema in my
  implementation, and copy the terminology section into my manual.

  For SASL, I want to incorporate portions of the introduction section
  from the RFC into my manual, to make sure some terminology is
  explained correctly.

  For GSS-API, I want to be able to copy the C header file with function
  prototypes into my implementation.

just so there is no misunderstanding - the intent of RFC 3668 was to
permit such extractions and there was (and is) no desire to restrict
such extractions

I, as editor, state publicly that I think that RFC 3667 permits such
extractions, we (or maybe I) may have not made that clear enough in
RFC 3667, but I think that RFC 3667 supports these uses - some people
on this list appear to disagree but I don't see much reason to continue
to argue about it because I see little reason for someone to think that
they would be attacked for making such extractions.

I can not conceive of a situation where the IETF (or ISOC) would ever
attempt to say that someone cannot do such extractions.  I suppose if
someone really pissed off a document author that author might try
to pull such a ploy - if that were to happen I expect that the
question of extractions would be very much of a sideshow in the legal
battle - for what it's worth I hereby offer to testify pro bono (but
expenses would need to be covered :-) ) to say that we intended that
such extractions were permitted.

Note that this question is different from the other one in this thread
about someone taking text from an IETF RFC with the intent to created a
modified version of the RFC.

Scott