Re: Copying conditions

2004-10-11 01:49:00
* Margaret Wasserman:

While I am most definitely not a lawyer, it is my understanding that
it is permissible to quote from copyrighted works as long as they are
properly referenced.  I don't think that we should stop people from
quoting (and referencing) RFCs, but we should stop people from
producing modified and/or extended versions of the original.

In some standardization efforts, it's customary to update standards by
issuing a diff to that standards: "in section 5.2, after the word
"interoperability", insert the words 'and efficiency'".

This is worst possible case: We have a technical description that is
very hard to understand, and the ISOC copyright failed to prevent the
creation of a competing standard.