Re: Copying conditions

2004-10-10 13:42:31

Honestly I think the issue of whether derivative works can use text
from the original is distinct from whether derivative works can be
confused with the original.

While I am most definitely not a lawyer, it is my understanding that it is permissible to quote from copyrighted works as long as they are properly referenced. I don't think that we should stop people from quoting (and referencing) RFCs, but we should stop people from producing modified and/or extended versions of the original.

If you believe that our current copyright/IPR text somehow forbids quoting and referencing RFCs in other works, could you explain why you think that?

Margaret