Re: Copying conditions

2004-10-07 02:56:30
Francis Dupont <Francis(_dot_)Dupont(_at_)enst-bretagne(_dot_)fr> writes:

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   > i.e. the rights under 3667 are the same as under 2026 its just stated
   > more clearly

   Even if that is true, it would not change that the current copying
   conditions are a problem for the free software community, and in my
   opinion, consequently the IETF.

=> I can't understand why the copyright about a text is a problem
for software when the documentation is explicitely "without
restriction of any kind".

Where does it say this?  Note that the quote I sent earlier was the
old RFC 2026 copying condition, which I agree with you is OK.  The new
text is in RFC 3667, which seem murkier to me.  I cannot find "without
restriction" in it, for example.

However, Scott Bradner suggested that the old RFC 2026 text may not be
permissive enough to allow for derivative works.  I have asked lawyers
to look at this now, to be certain.

Perhaps we don't share the meaning of "derivative works" (for me,
this can't be code itself)?

If you extract, say, a C header file, or an ASN.1 schema, from an RFC
into an application, I believe that may be regard as a "derivative
work".

Thanks,
Simon