Re: Copying conditions

2004-10-07 03:56:02
 In your previous mail you wrote:

   > What is your goal, here?  What is it you want to do that you can't do
   > because of either RFC 3667 or RFC 2026?

   Eliot,

   a few examples:

   For IDN, I want to be able to extract the tables from RFC 3454 and use
   them in my implementation.

   For Kerberos, I want to be able to use the ASN.1 schema in my
   implementation, and copy the terminology section into my manual.

   For SASL, I want to incorporate portions of the introduction section
   from the RFC into my manual, to make sure some terminology is
   explained correctly.

   For GSS-API, I want to be able to copy the C header file with function
   prototypes into my implementation.

   I believe the copying conditions in RFC 2026 give me these rights, but
   I have not yet seen anything similar in RFC 3667.  I am still looking,
   though.

=> I understand better your concern: the problem is about pieces of
code which can be extracted from an RFC, the cannonical example is
a MIB. This is covered in RFC 3667 by 5.2, 5.6 and 7.1e which I
give here:

   e. the right to let third parties extract some logical parts, for
      example MIB modules

So at least your concern was not forgotten...

Regards

Francis(_dot_)Dupont(_at_)enst-bretagne(_dot_)fr

PS: as a researcher and an old BSD fan I have no concern at all with
the "please reproduce the copyright for authors' recognition" style (:-).