Re: Copying conditions

2004-10-10 13:57:33
"Margaret" == Margaret Wasserman <margaret(_at_)thingmagic(_dot_)com>
writes:

    >> Areas where a discussion might be useful would be to explain
    >> why the open source community wants to do this etc.

    Margaret> While it might be interesting to gain this insight into
    Margaret> the motivations open source community, I don't know that
    Margaret> it would be pertinent to the issue at hand.

I've always found that understanding someone's position is an
important and necessary step to determining if it is a good idea.  I
don't think a discussion of whether this is a good idea for the
Internet would be useful without first understanding the positions of
the people who think it is a good idea.  But if you have a different
way of building consensus feel free to pursue that way.

Some questions I'd suggest you consider:

* Have the IETF's current IPR practices actually limited any company's
  ability to embrace and extend Internet standards?

* Have the current IETF's IPR practices limited the ability of any
  company  to explain how it has extended Internet standards  when it chooses
to do so?

* What problems are created if the IETF fails as an organization?
  Would a successor be able to take existing standards and produce
  standards based on them?  How do the IETF's IPR processes  make this easier
or harder?

--Sam