RE: isoc's skills

2004-10-12 19:15:28
On 10/12/04 at 6:37 PM -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:

Before we make strategic choices it is our responsibility. And that means before we even go out for 'bids'.

If we only worry about the details after we have chosen the contractor, we will probably choose the wrong contractor and we certainly will not have any negotiating leverage.

You keep making a fundamental error in these discussions. If it's intentional, it's a strawman. If it's unintentional, it's a basic misunderstanding of the documents that have been put out:

Neither ISOC in scenario O nor the administrative corporation in scenario C is "the contractor".

Let me repeat: ISOC is not the contractor.

ISOC, in scenario O, will hire the contractors to support the IETF (according to IETF specifications). The structures we desire in ISOC to do the hiring and (more importantly) facilitate communication of those specifications between the IETF and ISOC are laid out in scenario O.

The admin corporation, in scenario C, will hire the contractors to support the IETF (according to IETF specifications). The structures we desire in the admin corporation to do the hiring and (more importantly) facilitate communication of those specifications between the IETF and the admin corporation are laid out in scenario C.

Perhaps you think that we need the specifications about the job *the contractors* will need to do before we decide *who it is that is going to hire the contractors*. If that's true, I have found nothing in your posts justifying that position. (Perhaps you think that we can't figure out who is qualified to administer the contracts with such contractors before we know what kinds of tasks are going to be in the contracts, but I haven't seen you say that directly, and it's not directly deducible from what you've said.)

But to continue to refer to ISOC (in the case of scenario O) as "the contractor" is complete nonsense.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102