Re: isoc's skills

2004-10-13 12:51:41
Dave,

ISOC won't be making any operational decisions? They will not control the purse strings? They will not make any hire/fire decisions? The IAOC will live inside ISOC, but ISOC will not have any actual power over the activities?

Is that how everyone else is understanding this?

I really don't understand the difficulty you're having here.

Whatever incorporated entity holds the contracts for the
various functions will have to have answers to these questions.
Call it IETF Inc., ISOC, or Alverstrand.com, you will have to
answer them. That's why there needs to be an MoU between
the IETF (the unincorporated association that we all mill
around in, with its Chair, IESG and IAB providing leadership)
and that incorporated entity. Since we live under the rule
of law, clearly from a legal POV the incorporated entity
will take certain decisions, but it will do so as a vehicle
for the IETF's will.

I think the reason people responded overwhelmingly for scenario
O is that it's the *simplest* way to reach the above state.

   Brian