RE: isoc's skills

2004-10-12 20:20:26
Dear Margaret and Pete,
I understand your position. It would be OK if status quo was the target. Who hires the contractors would then be neutral. But the situation calls for improvements. The first improvement is financial stability. This means to make the IETF deliverable pay better and to create new deliverables which will pay in addition/replacement. With these new deliverables will come additional contractors and _possibly_ new requirement for the IAOC. Also, I tend to think that what maintains the IETF together is recognition for authoring its deliverables. This recognition is dwindling, so the new deliverables should be conceived for a better recognition of its Members.

The IETF is an author being his own publisher. No author ever made money in publishing his own books. Just as an example: let consider we decide that a new deliverable is an IETF related magazine to keep the world informed, get feed backs, document the key IETF Members, etc. This would certainly affect the kind of structure we would like to team with. If the publisher is an English or a Multilingual publisher would also affect the whole future of IETF and of the contibutions to the Internet standard process. The kind of publication (and the value of the subscription and distribution) would affect the level of recognition and therefore the motivation of the Members. They would certainly want to discuss it before. Just an example;

Another problem is a possible IAOC failure. If IETF was not involved in its detailed thinking process and supporting its choices, the impact of the resulting dispute might be devastating.
jfc