Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-20 02:45:01
Paul Vixie <vixie(_at_)vix(_dot_)com>:
                           mr. raymond's claims of representation don't
help me and might, by creating misunderstanding amongst the consumers of
"open source" software, hurt me.

Let's put an end to these far-reaching interpretations of
"representation", which are a product of Mr. Schryer's fevered brain
overinterpreting my original statement.

Originally, somebody asked that the open-source community get its act together
about what acceptable patent-license terms would be.

I said this: if IETF wants to know what form of patent license will be
acceptable to the open-source community, the people to ask are Richard
Stallman (representing FSF) and myself (representing OSI).

Between us (and especially if we agree), I believe we can speak *with
regard to this question* for 95% of the open-source community.  This
does not make either of us power-mad dictators intent on domination,
just most peoples' recognized experts on what constitutes an
acceptable open-source license.

If either Mr. Schryer or yourself chooses not to be considered part
of that "most people", fine -- the fact remains there are an awful damn lot
of developers expecting RMS and myself to *do* *this* *job* so they don't
have to.

Cripes.  It'd be easier trying to serve a gang of baboons, sometimes...