Re: Internet-Draft cutoffs and getting work done

2004-10-21 04:12:20
Harald,

I had not submitted a WG-named draft close to the deadline for
some time, and obviously didn't notice earlier versions of the
"chair approval even a week further in advance" announcement.  I
apologize for assuming it was a new problem and, hence, for
assuming that it occurred after the discussions around "July 14"
had been concluded.

At the same time, it appears to me that

        * The community was never asked to review or approve
        this change and that, had it been asked, alternative
        mechanisms (such as "the WG Chair actually submits")
        might have been suggested that would have permitted
        shortening the schedule without placing additional
        burdens on the Secretariat.  In that context, it would
        seem to me that a combined "either the WG chair must
        approve several days in advance or must actually submit
        the document itself by the deadline" rule might serve to
        balance the "short time" problem with the "chairs
        sometimes travel" one.

        * Similarly, the community has never been asked to
        review, or make suggestions about, the model/mechanism
        for WG Chair "approval".  While I don't think that is
        procedurally necessary, there are a lot of very smart
        people around the IETF, and a few of them aren't on the
        IESG or in the secretariat.  It seems sensible to take
        advantage of that resource. It is interesting to me that
        at least two new suggestions have emerged in the circa
        48 hours since I posted my "rant": one to permit the WG
        Chairs to make the submission themselves, at least if it
        was clear that they were "authorizing" the document by
        doing so rather than "approving" it, and one (as I
        understand it) to actually create a placeholder
        document, rather than merely a note to the Secretariat.

        * even if only on an exception basis, the very short
        interval between IETF60 and IETF61 (three months
        --actually 13 weeks-- including a time when lengthy
        vacations are common in many parts of the world)
        probably should have resulted in a review and procedure
        as to whether the extra week was too intrusive in this
        case.  I suspect it wasn't specifically on anyone's task
        list to notice, perform such a review, and ask the
        appropriate questions.

Colin has raised several other issues that also, IMO, deserve
careful consideration (which you have been giving them).

So I think that, if nothing else, there are several lessons in
this going forward.

And, incidentally, some of those lessons may be about the
"Admin" process and what expectations we should have of it.
Noting the observation about task lists above, I'm not at all
sure we should want to add careful and proactive tracking of
this sort of thing to the IESG's workload, but it seems obvious
(at least in retrospect) that it would be useful if it were done
by someone.

best,
    john

--On Wednesday, 20 October, 2004 08:23 +0200 Harald Tveit