Re: FW: [Inquiry #19085] Issue with Meeting Schedule change at the last moment

2004-11-08 03:25:14
Brian,

This expectation is exactly what is inappropriate if IETF wants to attract
pointed experts in a subject to contribute to a specific activity. Often they
can't afford or justify to attend a week of other unrelated (even if
interesting) discussions. Numbers have privately confirmed that they also see
it as a major hinderance to participation and growth of IETF in some areas.

BTW the tao is clear that agenda may change not to what extent. Common sense
should prevail. One might argue that adding slots or movimng days is an
unreasonable change. Extending meetings when agreed by participants would be
much more acceptable.

Eventually, I have noted and be told in several private notes that indeed this
expectation of participation to the whole meeting has been questioned
repeatedly and never addressed.

I have been told that whatever worth is the argument the IETF will not care and
will not act. It looks like it so far... But I hope that this is not true and
that IETF caters to the issues raised by its community and can adapt to changes
when warranted. I have not seen a discussion of pros and cons solely a
statement that it's always been like that and loosely stated as a foundamental
assumption that if you do not come the whole week, well too bad. That's not the
way to address this.

So I hope we will get a bit more constructive.

Cheers.

Stephane
_____
Stephane H. Maes, PhD,
Director of Architecture - Mobile, Oracle Corporation.
Ph: +1-203-300-7786 (mobile/SMS); Fax / UM: +1-650-607-6296.
e-mail: stephane(_dot_)maes(_at_)oracle(_dot_)com
IM: shmaes (AIM, Y!) or stephane_maes(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com (MSN Messenger)