RE: FW: [Inquiry #19085] Issue with Meeting Schedule change at thelast moment

2004-11-08 08:34:14
Stephane Maes <> wrote:
Brian,

This expectation is exactly what is inappropriate if IETF wants to
attract pointed experts in a subject to contribute to a specific
activity.

OK, so the original complaint seems to have been that the IETF was
violating its process or otherwise doing something bad to you; now
it seems that you just don't like how it works.  The former was IMHO
invalid (based upon the documents cited by others), but the latter
is reasonable.

Often they can't afford or justify to attend a week of
other unrelated (even if interesting) discussions. Numbers have
privately confirmed that they also see it as a major hinderance to
participation and growth of IETF in some areas.

Again (I know this may be hard to understand), participation in the
IETF IS NOT predicated upon meeting attendance, nor are any binding
WG decisions made at the meetings.  In fact, I know many 'subject
area experts' whom AFAIK have _never_ attended an IETF meeting, but
who nevertheless participate and contribute to great effect.

BTW the tao is clear that agenda may change not to what extent.
Common sense should prevail. One might argue that adding slots or
movimng days is an unreasonable change. Extending meetings when
agreed by participants would be much more acceptable.

Eventually, I have noted and be told in several private notes that
indeed this expectation of participation to the whole meeting has
been questioned repeatedly and never addressed.

I have been told that whatever worth is the argument the IETF will
not care and will not act. It looks like it so far... But I hope
that
this is not true and that IETF caters to the issues raised by its
community and can adapt to changes when warranted. I have not seen
discussion of pros and cons solely a statement that it's always
been
like that and loosely stated as a foundamental assumption that if
you
do not come the whole week, well too bad. That's not the way to
address this.

So I hope we will get a bit more constructive.

Cheers.

Stephane
_____
Stephane H. Maes, PhD,
Director of Architecture - Mobile, Oracle Corporation.
Ph: +1-203-300-7786 (mobile/SMS); Fax / UM: +1-650-607-6296.
e-mail: stephane(_dot_)maes(_at_)oracle(_dot_)com
IM: shmaes (AIM, Y!) or stephane_maes(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com (MSN Messenger)