Re: IPv4 consumption statistics and extrapolations

2004-11-08 12:41:04
What I'm afraid of is that we may end up in a situation where many people have all the addresses they need and don't see any reason to adopt IPv6, while others who are late to the table can't get sufficient IPv4 address space and will have to adopt IPv6 out of necessity, resulting in a fragmented internet where large groups can only communicate with each other using hideous NAT hacks.

I can echo every part of this concern except for the use of future tense!

And, if people are already on opposite sides of NATs, it's easier for ideas like IPv9 to pop up ("the Great Firewall of China" discussion earlier this year, etc.)...

Spencer