Re: Mobility (Was: Re: A modest proposal for Harald)

2004-11-10 18:25:44
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

But on mobility, I think we blew it.

Not sure if you are referring to the mobile IP technology in
particular, but because I suspect that the following is a bit of a
secret to the larger community, mobile IPv4 is actually deployed and
used. And end users mostly don't even know it!

Excluding cdma 2000, I'm told that it is deployed in O(100K)
nodes. This is in roaming notebooks and handhelds. Looking forward,
this number could get substantially larger, should appropriate ROHC
profiles be developed, though that work has not been started AFAIK.

Looking at cdma 2000 (aka 3GPP2), it is deployed in cellphones in both
Sprint PCS and Nextel. In such phones, when IP service is enabled,
mobile IP is used.  I'm told that MIP is deployed in O(million)
devices here (i.e, there is O(10M) subscribers, though it is unclear
how many are also subscribed to IP service).

There are some other deployments, but I don't know how big.

Thomas