Re: AdminRest: BCP editing team and timeline

2004-11-12 07:35:59
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

Follow-up from plenary:

The next step in the AdminRest process is to get a revised version of the
IASA-defining BCP document (currently draft-wasserman-iasa-bcp-01)
published, based on current input.

The editing team for this effort is Bert Wijnen and Rob Austein; for nits
and non-substantive suggestions, you can send suggestions directly to them.
For substantive issues and changes, please send them to the IETF list.

timeline related request -

Can someone (Harald? Leslie?) please post a timeline (with target
dates) for all proposed activity related to admin restructuring between
now and the spring meeting?

Also, see below for a suggested changes for the  "four major elements"
in draft-wasserman-adminrest-plan-01.txt Sec. 3 (Transition Plan Overview)
with a shift grom parallel to serial deployment of some elements.

1] Finalizing the BCP text and getting it approved by the IETF community
   and ISOC.
2] Selecting an IASA transition team, to work on the transition to the
   IASA/IAOC structure as soon as is practically possible.
3] Selecting IASA leadership. This includes appointing the IAOC.
4] Determining the structure and work flow of the IASA, deciding which
   portions of the IASA should be staffed via an open request for
   proposals (RFP)  process and issuing a RFP for those portions. It may
   also include establishing the criteria for sole source contracts or
   MOUs for other portions of the IASA.
5.] Determining the position requirements and terms of employment for the
    IAD, with community input.
6.] Recruiting and hiring the IAD.
7.] Negotiating agreements with service providers.

I don't think we should hire someone before "Determining the structure and
work flow of the IASA". Being the single paid employee in an all volunteer
organization will be tough enough - we need to be very clear about what
we need/expect before we hire.

Lucy E. Lynch                           Academic User Services
Computing Center                        University of Oregon
llynch  @darkwing.uoregon.edu           (541) 346-1774/Cell: 912-7998